Scuba diving in Long Island, Bahamas
Long Island in the Bahamas is known for its pristine beaches and clear blue waters, making it a popular destination for scuba diving. With its diverse marine life, vibrant coral reefs, and numerous shipwrecks, Long Island is a must-visit destination for scuba diving enthusiasts.
Best scuba diving spots for experienced divers
Some of the best scuba diving spots for experienced divers in Long Island include:
- Dean's Blue Hole: This is the world's deepest blue hole, and it's a popular spot for free diving and scuba diving. It features a dramatic drop-off that goes down to 202 meters.
- Conception Island Wall: The wall at Conception Island features an abundance of sea life, including barracuda, reef sharks, and turtles. The wall drops down to a depth of around 30 meters.
- The Cobia Cage: This dive site is home to a large number of cobia, which are attracted to the underwater cage used by local fishermen. It's also a popular spot for reef sharks and sea turtles.
Best scuba diving spots for beginners
Long Island also offers great diving options for beginners. Some of the best spots include:
- Columbus Point: This site is perfect for beginners, with shallow waters and easy entry from the shore. Divers can expect to see a variety of marine life, including colorful fish and sea turtles.
- Three Sisters: This site features three coral heads that are perfect for beginners to explore. The waters are shallow, and the area is home to a variety of marine life, including eels, lobsters, and crabs.
- Stella Maris Reef: This reef is located close to shore and is perfect for beginners. The waters are shallow, and divers can expect to see a variety of colorful fish and coral.
Long Island is home to an abundance of marine life, including reef sharks, stingrays, sea turtles, and dolphins. Divers can also expect to see a variety of colorful fish, including parrotfish, angelfish, and grouper.
The dive conditions in Long Island are generally calm, with good visibility and warm water temperatures. The cost of scuba diving in Long Island varies depending on the dive center and package selected.
A single dive can cost anywhere from $50 to $100, while multi-dive packages and certification courses are available at a higher cost.